10 Tips for Effective and Active Listening
- Focus on the speaker
- Make eye contact and give correct non-verbal responses
- Let the speaker take his/her time
Never finish the other person’s sentences!
- Use supportive words and questions as well as clarifying questions
“All of you?”
“Where were you when this happened?”
“You were glad that happened, weren’t you?”
- Paraphrase the speaker’s words
Rephrase the message or summarise it and show that you are following closely what is being said.
- Look for points of agreement
Even if you disagree with the overall message, look for some areas with which you do agree as the message evolves.
- Use the speaker’s name
- Avoid ‘me too’
Let the other party finish talking first and THEN, you can talk about you…
Otherwise the danger is that you will turn the speaker away from what he/she intended to say and ruin the flow of good COMMUNICATION.
- Listen to the feelings as well as the words
People rarely say exactly what they mean. Read the face, the body language to understand the true motives of the speaker.
- Be Curious!!
You just never know when something interesting will pop up! Curiosity aids COMMUNICATION in the process.
Would you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.