10 Effective Time Management Secrets
1. Manage Your Email
- Turn off your email notifier!
- Set 2-3 times in the day only when you check your emails – be disciplined.
2. Keep A Time Log For A Few Days
- List what you did, when you did it and why you did it – over a few day period.
- Identify patterns (interruptions, how you’re feeling, concentration & energy levels, etc), and develop plans to positively influence them.
3. Know Yourself
- When are you at your best?
- When are your energy levels highest?
- When are you at your most creative?
- Which tasks go best with which part of the day?
- Manage your diet and sleep patterns.
- Regularly clarify & review your goals.
4. Have A Time Schedule
- Use it!
- Publish & Display it.
- Stick to it.
5. Do One Thing At A Time!
- And do it properly.
- Multi-tasking effectively is a myth!
6. Find Pleasure & Pride In What You’re Doing
- Give yourself rewards. Build in fun.
- You’ll be far more likely to do it and in a time-effective way.
7. Recognise When You’ve Done Enough!
- Employ the 80:20 rule.
- Perfection is not always necessary.
8. Things Change
- Take account of this. Build in time in your schedule.
- Don’t be afraid to radically alter or even abandon the tasks if needed.
9. Create A Sense of Achievement For Each Part of Your Day
- Recognise when you’ve been successful in achieving a step along the way to the ultimate objective.
- Schedule accordingly, so you have balance through the day.
10. Shine A Light On Yourself – “The Hawthorne Effect”
- Review your personal time management performance.
- Challenge and be honest with yourself.
- Shining a light on yourself like this will lead to increased productivity.
Next time we will be covering “HOW TO…MANAGE A PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL EFFECTIVELY”.
Do you have any ideas for our future HOW TO…articles? If so, please let us know and we will cover it in our future newsletter.
Please send your valuable ideas to us at firstname.lastname@example.org