The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness
by Stephen R. Covey
“The 8th habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness” is yet another brilliant book on personal development from the author of “The 7 habits of highly effective people”.
In the 8th habit, Stephen Covey challenges each of us to become leaders.
He takes us through our ability to make choices to our need for finding our unique voices. His solution for today’s problems involve two challenges:
(1) find your voice; and,
(2) inspire others to find their voice.
He identifies the needs and characteristics of people, and structure his ideas in a way that we all can understand. With his outline, we can each move to a higher level of greatness and leadership. He writes for everyone; from the CEO to the factory worker; from the stay-at-home parent to the teacher in the classroom; from the young to the old; and, from the rich to the poor.
The 8th Habit shows how to solve such common dilemmas as:
• People want peace of mind and good relationships, but also want to keep their lifestyle and habits.
• Relationships are built on trust, but most people think more in terms of “me” — my wants, my needs, my rights.
• Management wants more for less; employees want more of “what’s in it for me” for less time and effort.
• Businesses are run by the economic rules of the marketplace; organisations are run by the cultural rules of the workplace.
• Society operates by its dominant social values, but must live with the consequences of the inviolable operation of natural laws and principles.
WHAT OTHERS SAID ABOUT The 8th Habit :
“Getting results in large companies is a very rare skill and this book captures how to do it. The guidance provided here will prove invaluable for leaders who are trying to drive tighter execution in their organizations.” — Kevin Rollins President and CEO, Dell, Inc.
“For years I have been using the 7 Habits as guiding principles in leading my business. I had to read The 8th Habit. Having done so, I am completely wowed, captured, and empowered. The 8th Habit is a true masterpiece, a must-read. These principles of personal and organizational leadership, when lived, unleash human genius and inspire deep commitment and magnificent levels of service and satisfaction. This book will be my gift to all my associates as required reading for all of my future endeavors.” — Horst Schulze Former President and COO of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company
“Stephen Covey has long been a sure-footed guide to those desiring to better themselves. The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness shows how to climb to the summit of fulfillment and achievement.” — Steve Forbes President and CEO of Forbes and Editor In Chief of Forbes Magazine